Failure of my horizontal mesh

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 kitejan

kitejan
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

The mesh on my original EXP failed about 3 months after I got it. A local kite shop replaced the mesh with a different sort (and added a couple of extra Dacron bits between the LE and the sail) and there was no further failure in the next year or so. My original 1.5 SUL also has the cracking mesh, plus other local fliers also have suffered this delight.

But on my home made sails (for all there other faults :-) ) the mesh has never failed, cracked, or done anything other than *be* some mesh. I don't take any special precautions with putting the Revolution away - almost from the beginning with the EXP I break down the leading edge, fold over into thirds, place the verticals against the LE (or in the case of the SLE spars: insert the verticals in inside the SLE spars) then roll from LE down to the TE.

I dont know if the mesh I (and the kite shop who did the original EXP repair) used is heavier or different from the standard Revolution type in some way - all I know is that a) it does the job and doesnt crack.

Perhaps it's true that some damage does result from "user abuse", but surely not all?

Jan

#22 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

The mesh on my original EXP failed about 3 months after I got it. A local kite shop replaced the mesh with a different sort (and added a couple of extra Dacron bits between the LE and the sail) and there was no further failure in the next year or so.
Jan

Jan was the Dacron put on where you fold the kite for storage? It is ashame that this is not solved because it does show up on a lot kites and it is frustrating. I really think it is a problem that can be solved. The Rev is a very rugged kite except for that.

#23 kitejan

kitejan
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

Jan was the Dacron put on where you fold the kite for storage? It is ashame that this is not solved because it does show up on a lot kites and it is frustrating. I really think it is a problem that can be solved. The Rev is a very rugged kite except for that.

No - the extra reinforcement was added like this: 1 piece in the center of the kite (where the bridle attachment goes), then 1 midway between the centre and the existing vertical dacron (both sides of course) and then 1 midway between the vertical dacron and the edge of the sail (again both sides) - 5 in total. I think you can just see what I mean on this this photo:
Picture of modified Rev EXP

None of these were where the folds would normally occur. The mesh used here is (as far as I can tell exactly) the same as mesh I have used on my homemade sails - and on those I only add the extra central piece of dacron on the leading edge. No problems with any mesh fabric so far (first one was made in February 2003, the vented version which as had alot of flying was made in May 2004) - still fine.

I agree it is frustrating as this is about the only fault (OK there are things that perhaps could/should be improved - thoese belong to another thread :-) ) with the build. Searching rec.kites I originally posted my question on 20th August 2001 - just sadens/annoys me that this is still seems to be an issue nearly 7 years later.

#24 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

What is the purpose of the mesh at the leading edge?

#25 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:04 AM

It makes the kite fly a bit smother, particularly in reverse, I believe. If I understand correctly it lets a little airflow through to the far side from the flier, restoring laminar flow on that side and thus making the kite more stable.

A vented v standard sail has a similar effect IMRO
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#26 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:37 AM

If the mesh is breaking where the creases are from the standard '3 way' fold then its got to be something like a fatigue failure hasnt it? Hate to be repetative but I am going to continue to store all my kites rolled along the leading edge until someone can give me a reason not to!

And Jan when I sell you my spare shockwave it will come rolled!

#27 kitejan

kitejan
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:00 AM

....And Jan when I sell you my spare shockwave it will come rolled!

:D I dont think the Mylar has the same issues as the mesh - no doubt I will revert to my 'standard' putting-away methods though. Old dog/new tricks and all that!

Anyway: have you decided to sell? There are a couple of PM's over on the Fractured Axel forum about it.

jan

#28 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

I want everyone to know I'm watching this post very carefully, but I'm not sure if the cure will really stop the problem.
The mesh we use is a fiberglass mesh that has worked well even with the few problems and because of this I want you all to
know why we do what we do, I'm going to explain some things. I've personally looked at new meshes but had to test
them in many ways, wet, cold, hot, because these are all conditions that this kite is flown in, a mesh that works in
the UK under damp conditions may fail for a guy who flies in Alaska in sub freezing temps. and believe me we have
fliers there who do. A stiffer mesh may not work for a guy in Kuwait who fliers in 110 temps all the time, or
a poly mesh will not work for a guy who likes to dunk his kite in the ocean all the time cause the salt reacts to the
mesh and to be perfectly honest are mesh has worked the best in all conditions. So with that being said I ask that
you look at the whole picture...... When you make changes they have to work world wide in a huge arena of conditions
or you rob Paul to make Peter happy- if that make any sense. I am going to look at some tabs at the fold points and
am sewing them on 2 of my personal kites now and will test this as a partial cure and ask all of you to remember
that folding should be done so the fold line is slack and all of the suggestions are very good and if this helps I'm
happy but I do know there are a lot of things going on that can make these tears happen, but I also know I will try to
find a cure that works for all of us..... Respectfully Ben ( a flier)

#29 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

, a mesh that works in the UK under damp conditions...

You wouldn't be inferring we have something other then perfect weather over here would you?

Tape at fold points sounds a sensible option without adding too much weight..... but I also think we can hep ourselves with the way we take care of the sail and store it .. as I keep banging on .. if you rinse off salt water, mud and sand, dry the sail before storing and even do what I do and roll the sail rather then fold it, it will last longer... no question

right where's my umbrella....

#30 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

I want everyone to know I'm watching this post very carefully, but I'm not sure if the cure will really stop the problem.
The mesh we use is a fiberglass mesh that has worked well even with the few problems and because of this I want you all to
know why we do what we do, I'm going to explain some things. I've personally looked at new meshes but had to test
them in many ways, wet, cold, hot, because these are all conditions that this kite is flown in, a mesh that works in
the UK under damp conditions may fail for a guy who flies in Alaska in sub freezing temps. and believe me we have
fliers there who do. A stiffer mesh may not work for a guy in Kuwait who fliers in 110 temps all the time, or
a poly mesh will not work for a guy who likes to dunk his kite in the ocean all the time cause the salt reacts to the
mesh and to be perfectly honest are mesh has worked the best in all conditions. So with that being said I ask that
you look at the whole picture...... When you make changes they have to work world wide in a huge arena of conditions
or you rob Paul to make Peter happy- if that make any sense. I am going to look at some tabs at the fold points and
am sewing them on 2 of my personal kites now and will test this as a partial cure and ask all of you to remember
that folding should be done so the fold line is slack and all of the suggestions are very good and if this helps I'm
happy but I do know there are a lot of things going on that can make these tears happen, but I also know I will try to

Well I dont think you can say fairer than the THANK YOU Ben. (Think I have posted B4, I have a mesh failure, but it is on a Rev 1 that is almost old enough to be a Neos. Might just be to do with it being old or something strange :D)

#31 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:47 PM

I've often pondered this thought of sewing a extra tab at the fold points to help prevent this from happening before it does.

2 little pieces if LE material probably doesn't add squat to the weight of the kite yet can be a preventative tool in itself.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#32 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

If you check in this article, under Screen Play, you'll see a method of removing leading edges that really cuts down on the wear and tear of sliding them out inch by inch.

http://www.kitelife....ons56/index.htm

I'd also echo what Jonesey suggests, keeping the sail somewhat clean will help as well, especially if you are around slat water.
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#33 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Realize that this is an old post - Have a friend that has LE tears in both his II and1.5! Both have lots of flying time on them! not going to question whether it is a factory problem or just old age and use!! Does Rev offer a repair service for fixing their kites correctly? Don't want a local repair shop to fix if they don't know what is what!! Would like to hear back Thanks

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users