• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 potterthree

potterthree
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

Hi All,

First time poster here and new Rev Flyer. I bought a Rev 1.5 SLE and am having a ball when I go to the coast where the winds are nice. I live (and have most opportunity to fly) where the winds are generally much lighter. I am looking for suggestions on adjusting my frame for low wind use. I understand shorter, lighter lines and a lighter frame may do the trick. Does that make sense on a limited budget as opposed to purchasing a new SUL? Can I simply purchase a lighter LE and verticals that will work like an SUL? Thanks for any suggestions.

George
George

If it flies, its cool!

#2 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

Hello and welcome to the dark side.

50lb lines will help,and a 2wrap[professional use]frame set.
Race Rods are the real deal also,superb.Lighter than 2 wrap and stronger than a three wrap.

Hope that helps ya bud.

BRIAN...

#3 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

Everything that Bri said, but also make sure your handles have adjustable pigtails on. I find it helps in lighter winds to give the kite a slightly shorter pair of top lines to give more lift when trying to regain height.

It also helps to find a good flying site clear of obstructions. If winds are lighter the "wind shadow" of trees and such like extends that bit further, and the turbulence is that much more difficult to recover from with out a good dose of stronger winds just a few feet away.

Not a tuning tip, but learning the float will save a lot of heart ache (Thanks for this Bob).
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:19 PM

Hello and welcome to the dark side.

50lb lines will help,and a 2wrap[professional use]frame set.
Race Rods are the real deal also,superb.Lighter than 2 wrap and stronger than a three wrap.

Hope that helps ya bud.

BRIAN...

Welcome aboard!
Don't forget to change from the light to heavy rods as the wind picks up.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

Also,dont underestimate how difficult low wind flying can be to learn.I reckon its just about as hard as it gets with a kite,but its great.....

BRIAN...

#6 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

50 foot 50# lines and a race frame will work good for the sle .. in time you should get a sul so you can have both ..
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#7 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

We put off buying SULs for years. We did the two wrap spar thing, the short line thing, the everything we could think of thing.

Lynn and I each got SULs last September. They are made of lighter material, have a spectra bridle and just plane fly better in light wind.

It was one of those "why didn't we do this before" things. We are flying lots more than we ever did. We flew all day at the beach last Saturday on 100' 90lb lines, in very light wind. I think the kite is much more important than the lines. Sure, light and/or short lines help. Going from 100' to 50' you loose 200 feet of line dragging around the sky, but the kite is the story here. A lighter kite on heavier lines will surely do better in light wind than a heavy kite on light lines.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#8 potterthree

potterthree
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

Well, after a frustrating evening of light wind with my beautiful (but apparently too heavy) new Rev 1.5 SLE, I find so many kind suggestions from you guys. Thanks! It is much appreciated!

From what you have commented, it seems to me that these are my choices to obtain a 1.5 more suited to light winds:

1) Buy a 2-wrap frame set now = $60 (Lighter than my frame but not good for strong winds)
2) Buy a Race Rod frame set in a month or so = $90 (Good for both light and strong winds)
3) Buy a Rev 1.5 SUL in several months = $179 (2-wrap frame with lighter sail and bridle)

Any other sensible options or corrections? What would you do? ...and thanks again. It is great to be a part of the community. Hopefully one day I'll be able to help someone else!
George

If it flies, its cool!

#9 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:22 PM

No matter what you do now, or a month from now, you will end up with a 1.5 SUL, a 1.5 standard sail (which you now have), and a 1.5 vented.

Trust me, you will. We all do. ;)
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#10 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:45 PM

HO YES,Jims correct.

BRIAN...

#11 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:12 PM

And a Rev 1 and a Rev 2, the list just go's on and on.

#12 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:53 AM

If my bucks were limited, I would put them into the vented rather than the SUL. Sure the SUL is a great kite, and it will open up zero wind flying. But it seems to me the vented gives you more options, and is such a superb flier. The way it evens out the bumps in the wind (and my turns!) and is so,so precise is fabulous. On all but the very lightest of days the vented in the first out of my bag, even if I have to shove the race frame into it to keep it airborne, which says it all.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#13 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:32 AM

No matter what you do now, or a month from now, you will end up with a 1.5 SUL, a 1.5 standard sail (which you now have), and a 1.5 vented.

Trust me, you will. We all do. ;)

Yep! I got by for a while with an SLE and a secondhand vented sail swapping the one frame between the two sails as required. But it wasn't long before I was putting in an order for an SUL and a vented to match my SLE, and I have to say that in the right wind the SUL is my favourite, although I do wonder, if I had been on a tighter budget, I chould have saved some money and just bought a Pro Use Frame (race rods weren't an option then).

I know the SUL has the Spectra bridle but the SUL can't be too much lighter than the std sail can it? And the sul is not even an option for those that have taken the B series route.

On all but the very lightest of days the vented in the first out of my bag, even if I have to shove the race frame into it to keep it airborne, which says it all.

A Beauitifull combination. :)
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#14 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:40 AM

I was struggling to get my B Series with a two wrap into the air on Saturday afternoon (there was a period where the wind died down) and I saw Melanie having no problem flying. After I had put my kite away she offered to let me try her kite. I was frustrated and sure it wasn't going to be any different. She said "it's my new SUL, I just bought it". I tried it and it went right up into the sky no problem. Now I have another kite on my want list (sigh).

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#15 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:00 AM

Thank you, I must admit I wouldn't be without mine but I had put some of the weight difference down to the Mylar panels in the std and vented.

Any guesses how long before we see a B Series sul? :kid_smartass:
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#16 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:11 AM

I don't like walking back wards and I never liked low wind days until I got the kites for it. Now I love them. Normal to high wind seems to be configure your 1.5 full or vented to fly with the most control but when the winds are under 5 I can't decide between the SUL, Rev1 W/2 wrap or the Blast. Each is a totally different fly and each is a ton of fun and a challenge to fly well. It doesn't take much wind to have a great time with any of those kites. My only suggestion as to what to get first is that you should be very comfortable flying before you get the Blast. Now I just look at lower winds as an opportunity to do something different. :kid_content:

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#17 potterthree

potterthree
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:05 PM

Thank you so much all of you for your comments and suggestions. I think I'll save my pennies and go for an SUL. 'Course...That's the way I'm feeling right now ...after having nice wind to fly in tonight! ;)
George

If it flies, its cool!

#18 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

I like my sul for light winds, I think it's a little lighter than an a b series w/ 2 wrap. But I have flown my rev 1 w/ 2 wrap and it seems to hang better and easier to get off the ground than my sul although slower but with less backing up. I found out the hard way that the 2 wrap verticals on rev one break real easy if you run into a sudden gust of wind.

#19 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:19 AM

order a B-series
with the SUL leading edge sleeve, (direct from the factory)
get the standard bridle

a complete race frame,

REV's extended length handles,

50# LaserPro Gold flying line, 35 or 50 or 70 feet in length.

Practice the "float" until it's second nature, then

enjoy all those no wind days!

#20 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:34 AM

And a Rev 1 and a Rev 2, the list just go's on and on.

don't forget the vented rev II, the SS, vented and non, a regular stack, and a progressive stack. This is my partial wish list. But a vented 1.5, B preferred is at the top of my list right now. It's March.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users