3 replies to this topic

#1 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:29 AM

My buddy Dave Ashworth has to be one of the best builders for indoor quad-lined kites.

Here's a picture of his uniquely styled Blast(er), made of Orcon and framed in the lightest available sticks. It has a bridle that's acres long, otherwise the frame members distort during handle input commands. There's also a Tirips (Spirit) and Ryvolution 1point6 that have been extensively modified with lighter frames and mostly orcon sails.

The first 1point6 Dave made was so sweet I simply had to have it. I swapped a REV bag and huge (51 inch) light table for it after the first time I touched it. (it's on a separate photograph)

The second 1point6 he made, the red/white/blue model was a love affair for Jim Cosca on it's maiden voyage also! Scott Weider and John Ruggerio ~splg?, (he inverted the first indoor prototypes which REV based their commercial design upon), also thought it was very easy and neutral to fly. Much easier than the REV indoor. Notice how far apart the 2 down spars are placed, compared to the dedicated indoor? How about the fact that he's using a bridle, . . ... even on his indoor kites, or adding training wheels???

None of these have plans available, in fact in all the years I've known Dave he has never built a kite twice the same way! I just wanted you to know that modifying a kite is almost as much fun as flying them. D. Ashworth is an superior implementer and one of the best at figuring out a way around any encountered problems.

I hope you are also inspired to build a solution to whatever bothers you about your favorite kite, then share the details with us.

Attached Thumbnails

• Dave__s_indoor_quads.JPG
  • Orcon_1point6.JPG

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:40 AM

Those are pretty kewl, but are they being sold? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rev is copyrighted, and I'm not sure if those should be for sale since they are not genuine revs.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:00 AM

They're not being sold, Paul is a long-time Rev enthusiast... He's just sharing something made in the WOW club. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:32 PM

Similar to some of the Rev style kites made in Holland, about 10 years back (oh how time flys...)

I was impressed back then by the way the sticks were sewn into the kite, I'm currently going through my archieve of video, I'll see if I can find anything.

BTW and my main reason for replying what Orcon?

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users